1. Candy Invitation. Hand out candy bars such as a Payday with an invitation saying, “Come join FBLA and see how to increase your PAYDAY!” Hand out invitations to all prospective members inviting them to the first meeting.
2. Locker Signs. Place signs on lockers with candy on them. Use a catchy phrase such as “Be a STAR in FBLA” and give away starburst candies.
3. Fans. Label some hand-held plastic or paper fans with “Cool Down with FBLA.” Include some information about the next local chapter meeting.
4. Plan icebreakers for Local Chapter Meetings. Icebreakers not only allow members to interact at a meeting, but they make meetings fun… and having fun is important to recruiting and retaining members!
Blinded by Money: Pair everyone up and form a big circle. Give each pair two coins. One person in each pair tilts his head back and places a coin on each eyelid with eyes closed (no peeping!). Put a big container in the center of the room (i.e. garbage can).The object for each person is to dump their coins in the container, following the verbal direction of their partner. No physical guiding by the partner is allowed. If any coin is dropped, the person should pick it up and start all over again. The fun comes when all the pairs go at once, crowding around the container, blinded by money, trying to hear their partner’s directions.
5. Drawings. Have a drawing for a prize. Oftentimes businesses are willing to donate items such as movie passes, music players, etc. Registration is open to all members who have paid their dues.
6. Food. Have an informational meeting held after school. Promise members food such as a “Build Your Own Banana Split Party” but not until after you have given your presentation. Hand out invitations to all students in business classes and new middle school students. You could distribute these during homerooms or in the business classes.
7. Happenings. Give examples of what has happened in past years. Show prospective members actual pictures (via a slide show presentation) of where you have gone, what you have done, who you have met.
8. Local Member Sign-Up Form. Photocopy and hand out the local chapter member sign-up form below to recruit members. Be sure to have a spot for e-mail addresses.
9. Use the Recruitment PowerPoint Template. A recruitment presentation explaining the different opportunities that FBLA offers students can be found on the recruitment section FBLA-PBL Web site under Membership.
10. Create and Hand Out a One-page Flyer. Highlight local, state, and national projects and activities.